3 Sales Mistakes That Are Hurting Your Business

Three Sales Mistakes

For how long could you sustain your business without making sales? If you’re like most business owners, the answer is not very. Fundamentally, your business depends on your team’s ability to close sales – because, without that revenue, you simply can’t keep your doors open. So, it’s incredibly important to focus on your sales processes and be sure you aren’t allowing sales mistakes to stand in the way of your continued success.

If your sales efforts aren’t living up to your expectations, it’s time to consider whether you’re falling victim to any of these common sales mistakes.

Mistake #1: Not Knowing Your Customer Base

Yes, you have an amazing product or service, and you believe in it. Unfortunately, so does everyone else. Communicating your true worth to your prospects means differentiating yourself from the competition; and differentiating yourself means understanding who your customers are and what they value.

The truth of the matter is that customers don’t buy products or services – they purchase solutions. To present your offerings as a solution, you must first understand the challenges your customers face. This knowledge powers a significant shift in how you talk about your business – away from ‘this is what we do’ and towards ‘this is what we can do for you.’

Mistake #2: Not Having a Sales Process

After putting so much work into developing the best possible product/service and identifying the best way to deliver it to the customer, it’s easy to feel like the hard work is done. One of the biggest mistakes a business owner or executive can make is failing to put the same amount of attention into the sales process.

Creating a detailed sales strategy gives you a roadmap for effectively getting your product or service in front of those who will benefit most from your offerings, and it arms your team with the tools they need to convert prospective customers into paying ones. There should be consistent and strategic steps that each of your prospects experience as they travel through the sales cycle, and this shouldn’t be left up to each salesperson to define for themselves.

Mistake #3: Not Training Your Sales Team

The market has never been more competitive than it is today, and yet, approximately 70% of companies don’t conduct any sales training for their teams. That leaves the other 30% dominating the marketplace.

One of the most common sales mistakes is grounded in the belief that there are natural-born salespeople. While some personality traits can certainly help people feel more comfortable in a sales role, sales skills are just that – learned skills.

To build a high-performing sales team, your company needs to begin reevaluating the sales training it provides to each salesperson. When you arm your salespeople with key sales skills, such as techniques for overcoming objections, you’ll find you’re able to close more sales, generate more profits, and achieve the goals that have remained out of reach for far too long.

Overcome Common Sales Mistakes and Build a Top-Performing Sales Team with FocalPoint Canada

At FocalPoint Canada, we use a wide range of tools and methodologies to tailor programs for our clients’ unique sales effectiveness needs. We guide our clients in overcoming challenges and leveraging opportunities with proven processes and methodologies that have been used by thousands of successful businesses over the past two decades. Our FocalPoint business coaches use their expertise to teach our time-tested methods through individual coaching, group sessions, or trainings and workshops.

Blog Footer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *